My Dad by Anthony Browne

 My Dad: Browne, Anthony, Ferguson, Margaret, Browne, Anthony:  9780374351014: Amazon.com: Books


My Dad by Anthony Browne 


  • Contemporary Realistic Fiction

  • Grades: Pre-K- Kinder, 1st

  • Awards: None


Summary:


My Dad is told from the perspective of a young boy. The young boy exalts his dad saying his dad is fearless, can walk tightropes, wrestle giants, and win races. He goes on to compare his dad to animals saying he can eat like a horse and is as strong as a gorilla. The young boy describes his father’s physical features as soft as a teddy bear. Furthermore, the son says his father is talented at football and making him laugh. The story concludes by saying that the son and father love each other.

 

Evaluation: 


My Dad by Anthony Brown is an example of realistic fiction because it portrays a story with actual people; however, these people act like animals. Young children can connect to this story because it discusses a boy and his father who love each other. Children would enjoy reading this story because it isn’t preachy but it does talk about loving one another. My Dad seems targeted towards younger children like Kindergarteners so I probably would not choose this book for my classroom. If I were to choose a lesson to incorporate this story into, it would be a unit on segmenting single-syllable words into individual phonemes like “dad”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saving Winslow by Sharon Creech

Music Everywhere! by Maya Ajmera, Elise Hofer Derstine, & Cynthia Pon

Feathers for Lunch by Lois Ehlert