I Love My Hair! by Natasha Anastasia Tarpley & illustrated by E.B. Lewis

 I Love My Hair!: Tarpley, Natasha Anastasia: 9780316525589: Amazon.com:  Books

I Love My Hair! by Natasha Anastasia Tarpley & illustrated by E.B. Lewis

  • Fiction
  • Grade: 1st - 3rd
  • Awards: None
Summary:

I Love My Hair! is a story about a little girl names Keyana who learns all about the beauty and history of her hair. Her mother does her hair every night and sometimes it even hurts. Keyana's mother tells her that she is lucky to hair that is so beautiful and versatile. Keyana's hair can be spun and weaved into a puffy bun like her ancestors, braided in straight lines like seeds are planted in a garden, or styled in an Afro like the globe. She can add beads to her braids which makes music. Keyana was saddened when she got teased by the kids at her school, but the teacher comforted her by telling her the history of those who stood up for what they believed wearing their afros. Keyana loves her hair and her favorite style is two ponytails on each side of her head.  

Evaluation:

This story is a great book for the classroom because hair is such a big cultural factor for African Americans. Many children are accustomed to seeing straight, blond hair as the standard of beauty, but this book celebrates African American hair and its history. I would use this book in my classroom because it is a beautiful story and it is appropriate for second grade. This book could be used when teaching a unit on culture and diversity. This book talks about the beauty behind being African American and celebrating your hair which is a distinct feature that represents one's culture and background. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saving Winslow by Sharon Creech

Music Everywhere! by Maya Ajmera, Elise Hofer Derstine, & Cynthia Pon

Feathers for Lunch by Lois Ehlert